Jump To Navigation

Should I contact the Police if I have been in a San Diego Auto Accident?

First of all, the most important thing to do after an accident, no matter how minor, is to get out of the way of other traffic, and make sure no one is hurt. If someone is injured, contact emergency medical personnel (911) immediately. If someone is hurt in an accident, California law requires that the police be contacted within twenty four hours. You can report an accident by dropping by a station and filling out a report. You can also fill out a report online at the DMV. You are also required to have a Police report if damage from the accident exceeds $750.

For a minor fender bender, where no party is injured, and the damage is less than $750, a Police report is not required. Keep in mind that, when it comes to car repairs, $750 is not hard to reach. Any type of significant dent can easily result in damages of $750. Also, for purposes of dealing with your insurance claim, it is typically a good idea to file a Police report.

If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, it is always a good idea to contact an auto accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you deal with the insurance agencies and get you any financial compensation you deserve.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Review Us
FindLaw Network